Friday, June 10, 2011

The Hearing Alphabet: Not Phonetic...

Today, I wanted to review my path towards becoming a phonetic thinker.


Around 2010, I wrote this poem called "The Hearing Alphabet," which is meant to be read and heard.


"The Hearing Alphabet"



A is or Apron


B is for Bee


C is for Sea, that's how it sounds to me.


D is for Delight


E is Enough


F is for Effort, when the going gets tough.


G is for Genii


H is Ach-ae, it's really is an old word, spelled a new way! H-A!


I is for Eye


J is for Jade


K is for the Kale I eat when I'm afraid


L is for Elephant


M is Impress


N is for Into, although the spelling is a mess!


O is for Open


P is Peanut


Q is for Cue, on stage that's what you do.


R is for Are


S is Essay


T is for (you could) Teach the alphabet this way...


U is for You


V is Vegan


W is for Double U, (I cheated once again)


X is for Extra


Y is for Wine


Z is for Zine, a magazine of mine.





"Spelling is only a tool to communicate like any other human tool, it can be improved by human engineering."

From Valerie Yule from: "The Book of Spells and Misspells."





"Everyone...has to admit that of all languages of culture, English has the most antiquated, inconsistant and illogical spelling..."

Richard Venezky from: "The Book of Spells and Misspells."





My "update" idea to my old poem, is really a hint to anyone who may like the idea of "human en-gin-nir-ring," and has not considered using symbols...or adding additional symbols to the American or British alphabet...



...But what about sounds like


Ahh, as in the word A-ria or A-pple...


or Ehh as in E-ducate or Education...


which we could improve


with help from


me and you.





No comments:

Post a Comment